Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Smoke gets in your eyes

Chris got me The Rough Guide to Frank Sinatra for Valentine's Day. Leafing through the Albums section, I was struck by how variable the cover art was, especially in the '40s and '50s. The covers range from images that are still cool and evocative today to those that are downright embarrassing. After studying them, I've been able to determine a general rule: The covers that show Sinatra with a cigarette are good, whereas those where he's fagless are, well, not. Judge for yourself:










Strangely, Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely won a Grammy for best cover design, which goes to show how tastes can change.

2 Comments:

At 11:45 am, Blogger Jessy said...

I love the creativity behind these album covers! Even though I'm in my early 20s, I love Frank Sinatra and can appreciate the raw talent for what it was! Such a vast change from what's being beaten around the scene these days!

:)

 
At 9:27 am, Blogger Samir Bhat said...

You have a good blog. Infact it is hard to find a quality page amongst all the clutter that blogging and internet has come to throw at us.

Keep up the good work!

Samy

 

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home