Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Gilligan RIP

Along with Don Knotts, Bob Denver was one of West Virginia's two resident celebrities, so I'm disappointed that The Charleston Gazette's only coverage of his death so far has been a wire story with an added paragraph about the West Virginia connection. Let's hope the Gazette's staff will produce a suitable tribute in the next few days.

By the way, I don't know whether Denver's wife Dreama is a West Virginian, but she has a classic Southern West Virginia name. Back when I was editing copy at the Gazette, I used to see the name in a lot of obituaries; it usually belonged to a middle-aged daughter of the deceased. It was equally common for their mothers to be called Icie. I haven't often seen either name anywhere else.

0 Comments:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home